Pt. 2: The World Marathon Challenge and Other Adventures with Greg Nance
Download a year’s worth of weekly action steps to improve your leadership for FREE!
Greg Nance is working to expand education access. Greg is the CEO of Dyad.com, which is a mentorship platform that has helped students earn over $27M in scholarships. He is also the Chairman of Moneythink, a nonprofit providing teens in 30 cities with financial capability mentorship to boost college success. His work has been recognized by President Obama, Harvard Business Review, and the World Economic Forum. Greg has been a Gates Scholar at Cambridge University and a Truman Scholar at UChicago. Greg loves endurance challenges and has solo climbed Mont Blanc, swam across the Nile River, and run 250KM through the Gobi Desert. He recently completed the World Marathon Challenge where he ran 7 Marathons in 7 Days on 7 Continents to help at-risk students overcome the financial barriers to college.
The main drive behind the challenges Greg takes on: "I want to push past my limits and reach new levels of human performance."
- Everyone of us is capable of so much more than we are currently doing. So much of it is risking failure and taking on challenges that scare us.
- Sometimes you go from feeling great to feeling terrible. In these moments, you have to make the mental shift to just taking the next, smallest possible step or milestone.
- "Turn obstacles into opportunities"
- Share your journey your ups and downs. You'll find people who will support you along the way. And be sure to find ways to give back and support others as well.
- So often in life we are inundated by media and busyness and don't take the time to reflect and think. Find what works for you (even if it's not ultramarathons!) to get a block of thinking, analysis, and planning time.
- Invest in the right gear. It's the right gear + the right equipment that will get you to your goal.
- "The separation is in the preparation. You've gotta put in the work to make it possible."
- To get yourself in position to take advantage of opportunities in life, get started where you are today.
- Say "yes" until you can't.
- "Follow your smile" to figure out what interests and excites you. Life is so much fun when you're living it to your fullest and when your pushing yourself to become a better version of yourself each and every day.
- ABOUT GREG'S EXPERIENCE ON THE WORLD MARATHON CHALLENGE
- Seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.
- Only 104 people had ever completed the challenge (563 have been to outer space, 4500 have climbed Mt. Everest).
- This challenge was used to raise money and awareness for Moneythink and to encourage kids to push past their challenges and obstacles.
- Greg pushed through despite getting a fever after the first day.
- Greg received encouragement and got helpful techniques from fellow runners as well as a flood of drawings from kids who were following his race.
QUESTIONS TO INSPIRE US TO ACTION
- You like Brook’s running shoes and Clif Bars—what is another brand that you would say you share similar values with? Wentworth. They are about "taking the leap" and "independence is a journey." Using these mottos, we can do a lot to prepare ourselves.
- What’s the main excuse you see people making for why they can’t do something (and why they’re probably wrong)? "I don't have time." Be honest with yourself it's just not a priority. If you want something to work, you need to make it a priority.
- Use three descriptors to finish this sentence: “A good adventure is…” Challenging, exciting, and shared.
- What tip would you give people to help them overcome limiting mindsets? Get started. Once you get started, you build momentum and realize that your goal is possible.
- What is one site or scene you think everyone should take the opportunity to see? Mt. Rainier an incredible stratovolcano that's fully glaciated.
CONNECT WITH GREG
- Instagram: @gregrunsfar
- Website: www.dyad.com
- Website: www.moneythink.org
CONNECT WITH JOSH
- Instagram: @joshuafriedeman
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DJ Quads | Cruise Around | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/akadjquads/cruisearound
- DJ Quads | Smile | https://soundcloud.com/akadjquads/smile
- DJ Quads | It Just Makes Me Happy | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/akadjquads/itjustmakesmehappy
Want a FREE list of weekly action steps to improve your leadership? Download the Leadership Action List TODAY!
Mentioned in this episode:
Subscribe to Business Bitcoinization
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app
Business Bitcoinization Trailer